You are here:

Welcome to our blog

This is to prevent automatic submissions.

Back to postings list

Posted by Kim Winter, Friday 1st March, 2013

Hanson's Mill, Burgh le Marsh

Hanson's Mill, Burgh le Marsh

Hanson's Mill, Burgh le Marsh

Our new Friends of Windmill Gardens press officer, Dee Byrne, has spotted some interesting information about the history of Brixton Windmill reported in the Skegness Standard.

Just a few days ago, in the small Lincolnshire market town of Burgh le Marsh, Hanson’s windmill was the subject of a heritage talk given by its current owners.

This brick tower mill was built in the 1800s on the site of a former post mill. It was a working windmill right into the first half of the last century, and its four sails were only removed in 1938.

There was a bake house at the mill that sold eggs as well as bread and cakes right up to its closure - just like Brixton Windmill when the Ashby family were in residence.

But there is an even closer link between the two buildings. In 1964, some of Hanson's Mill’s machinery was taken out and brought to Brixton Windmill, which was then being restored by its owners, the London County Council. This wind-powered machinery is still on view at Brixton Windmill today.

Later there were other changes at Hanson’s Mill. In the 1980s it was rebuilt to incorporate a dwelling, and only last year a fibre-glass cap was installed, giving the mill a more traditional look.

Burgh Le Marsh boasts another windmill, now a working museum. This is Dobson’s Mill. Built by Sam Oxley of Alford in about 1813, it is a tower mill tarred black, like Brixton, but unusually it has five patent sails. These sails are left-handed, which means they rotate clockwise.

Dobson’s mill contains much of its original equipment, which works on open days, wind permitting.

Clearly, Burgh le Marsh, just five miles inland from Skegness, is well worth a visit for anyone interested in windmills and its connection to Brixton.